Patent trolls seemed to take summer vacations in July. It was a happily quiet month, although there were a number of retail product suits filed that I do not track in this report — let me know if you would like information about those cases. I suspect the cases will pick up in August and September.
As usual, I prepared the report in partnership with and using Docket Navigator and its powerful database. Docket Navigator is a powerful resource, and the place to go if you want to keep track of new patent litigation filings or want to know what is happening in particular cases, how your judge has historically handled a particular type of motion, or a particular plaintiff’s litigation history.
Finally, please let me know if you have thoughts about the report and changes you would like to see. I am preparing it as a service for retailers and their supply chain who may want an overview of the patent litigation landscape. So, I am very open to ways to improve the report for you.
Lodsys, LLC, 2-11-cv-00309 (TXED) July 5
- Judge: District Judge T. John Ward
- Claim: Infringement
- DriveTime Automotive Group Inc.
- ESET, LLC
- ForeSee Results, Inc.
- LivePerson, Inc.
- OpinionLab, Inc.
- The New York Times Company
- Plaintiff: Lodsys, LLC
- Counsel: Kelly Donion Gill Huck & Goldfarb and The Davis Firm
- 5999908 Customer-based product design module
- 7222078 Methods and systems for gathering information from units of a commodity across a network
- 7620565 Customer-based product design module
Webvention Holdings LLC, 1-11-cv-00634 (DED) July 18
- Claim: Declaratory Judgment of noninfringement & invalidity
- DJ Defendant: Webvention Holdings LLC
- DJ Plaintiff: The New York Times Company
- Counsel: Morris Nichols Arsht & Tunnell and Rothwell Figg Ernst & Manbeck
- 5251294 Accessing, assembling, and using bodies of information
Purple Leaf, LLC, 6-11-cv-00377 (TXED) July 25
- Judge: District Judge Leonard Davis
- Defendants: Amazon.com, Inc. and Amazon Payments Inc
- Plaintiff: Purple Leaf, LLC
- Counsel: Navarro Huff
- 7603311 Process and device for conducting electronic transactions Yadav-Ranjan