Like April, May saw a few large filings. Data Carriers sued about twenty retailers Ubicomm also hit about twenty retailers. Additionally, NeoMedia, Blue Calypso and Landmark Technology also filed suits. Of particular interest, Neiman Marcus filed a declaratory judgment suit against a patent holder that sent a cease and desist letter, but refused to identify itself, presumably at least in part to avoid the very declaratory judgment action that Neiman Marcus filed.
As usual, I prepared the report in partnership with and using Docket Navigator and its powerful database. Docket Navigator is a valuable resource, and the place to go if you want to keep track of new patent litigation filings or want to know what is happening in particular cases, how your judge has historically handled a particular type of motion, or a particular plaintiff’s litigation history.
Finally, please let me know if you have thoughts about the report or changes you would like to see. I am preparing it as a service for retailers and their supply chain who may want an overview of the patent litigation landscape. So, I am very open to ways to improve the report for you.
Data Carriers, LLC v. The Neiman Marcus Group, Inc., (D. Del.) (multiple cases).
- The Neiman Marcus Group, Inc.
- Avon Products, Inc.
- Best Buy Co., Inc.
- Foot Locker, Inc.
- Estee Lauder, Inc.
- Gilt Groupe, Inc.
- Hospira Inc.
- J Crew Group, Inc.
- Nordstrom.com, Inc.
- Nordstrom.com, LLC
- Nordstrom, Inc.
- PC Connection, Inc.
- PCM, Inc.
- Peapod LLC
- Saks Direct, LLC
- Systemax, Inc.
- Urban Outfitters (Delaware) Inc.
- Urban Outfitters, Inc.
- Victoria’s Secret Direct, LLC
- Wayfair, LLC
- Williams-Sonoma, Inc.
- WW Grainger, Inc.
Plaintiff: Data Carriers, LLC
Pls. Cnsl: Bayard; Russ August & Kabat; Gardere Wynne Sewell
Patent: 5,388,198 (Proactive presentation of automating features to a computer user).
The Neiman Marcus Group, Inc. v. Doe, (N.D. Tex.).
Judge: District Judge Ed Kinkeade
Claim: Declaratory Judgment
Plaintiff: The Neiman Marcus Group, Inc.
Pls. Cnsl: Bryan Cave
NeoMedia Technologies, Inc. v. Bed Bath & Beyond, Inc., (D. Colo.) (multiple cases).
Judge: District Judge Wiley Y. Daniel
- Bed Bath & Beyond, Inc.
- The Wendy’s Co.
Plaintiff: NeoMedia Technologies, Inc.
Pls. Cnsl: Global IP Law Group
Patents: 6,199,048 (System and method for automatic access of a remote computer over a network); and 8,131,597 (System and method for using an ordinary article of commerce to access a remote computer).
Ameranth, Inc. v. Starbucks Corporation, (S.D. Cal.).
Judges: District Judge Michael M. Anello, Magistrate Judge Bernard G. Skomal
Defendant: Starbucks Corporation
Plaintiff: Ameranth, Inc.
Pls. Cnsl: Caldarelli Hejmanowski & Page; Fabiano Law Firm; Osborne Law; and Watts Law Offices
Patents: 6,384,850 (Information management and synchronous communications system with menu generation); 6,871,325 (Information management and synchronous communications system with menu generation); and 8,146,077 (Information management and synchronous communications system with menu generation, and handwriting and voice modification of orders).
Parallel Networks, LLC v. Spotify USA Inc., (D. Del.).
Defendant: Spotify USA Inc.
Plaintiff: Parallel Networks, LLC
Pls. Cnsl: Buether Joe & Carpenter; Young Conaway Stargatt & Taylor
Patents: 7,188,145 (Method and system for dynamic distributed data caching); and 7,730,262 (Method and system for dynamic distributed data caching).
Blue Calypso, Inc. v. Groupon, Inc., (E.D. Tex.) (multiple cases).
- Groupon, Inc.
- MyLikes Inc.
- Yelp, Inc.
- Foursquare Labs, Inc.
Plaintiff: Blue Calypso, Inc.
Pls. Cnsl: Fish & Richardson; Ward & Smith Law Firm
Patent: 8,438,055 (System and method for providing endorsed advertisements and testimonials between communication devices); and 8,452,646 (System and method for providing endorsed electronic offers between communication devices).
UbiComm, LLC v. Ace Hardware Corporation, (D. Del.) (multiple cases).
- ACE Hardware Corporation
- BPS Direct, LLC, d/b/a Bass Pro Outdoors Online, LLC
- Bulbs.com, Inc.
- Crocs, Inc.
- Dick’s Sporting Goods, Inc.
- Global Custom Commerce, Inc. d/b/a Blinds.com.
- GNC Holdings, Inc.
- Guitar Center, Inc.
- Hayneedle, Inc.
- Karmaloop, Inc.
- ModusLink Recovery LLC f/k/a Tech for Less LLC
- Music123, Inc.
- The Neiman Marcus Group, Inc.
- Sheet Music Plus, LLC
- SkyMall, Inc.
- Team Express Distributing LLC
- Tory Burch LLC
- Wine.com, Inc.
- Zale Corporation
- Boot Barn, Inc.
- Sally Beauty Holdings, Inc.
Plaintiff: UbiComm, LLC
Pls. Cnsl: Stamoulis & Weinblatt
Patent: 5,603,054 (Method for triggering selected machine event when the triggering properties of the system are met and the triggering conditions of an identified user are perceived).
H-W Technology LC v. Papa John’s International Inc et al, (N.D. Tex.) (multiple cases).
Judge: District Judge Ed Kinkeade
- Papa John’s International Inc.
- Papa Johns USA Inc.
- Pizza Hut, Inc.
- Pizza Hut International, LLC
- Pizza Hut of America, Inc.
- Yum! Brands, Inc.
- Domino’s Pizza, Inc.
- Domino’s Pizza, LLC
Plaintiff: H-W Technology, LC
Pls. Cnsl: W O Huff & Associates
Patent: 7,525,955 (Internet protocol (IP) phone with search and advertising capability).
Landmark Technology, LLC v. iRobot Corporation, (E.D. Tex.) (multiple cases).
Judges: District Judge Avern C. Cohn, Magistrate Judge R. Steven Whalen
- iRobot Corporation
- Tempur-Pedic International, Inc.
- Vitacost.com, Inc.
- World Wrestling Entertainment Inc.
- Build-A-Bear Workshop, Inc.
Plaintiff: Landmark Technology, LLC
Pls. Cnsl: Jeffer Mangels Butler & Mitchell; Parker Bunt & Ainsworth
Patents: 5,576,951 (Automated sales and services system); and 7,010,508 (Automated multimedia data processing network).
DataTreasury Corporation v. Fiserv, Inc., (E.D. Tex.) (multiple cases).
- AFNB Holdings, Inc.
- American First National Bank
- Bank of the West
- Carlile Bancshares, Inc.
- Chisholm Bancshares, Inc.
- Citizens 1st Bank
- Citizens Bank
- DirecTex Holding Corp.
- East Texas Financial Corporation
- East Texas National, Inc.
- First Community Bank, NA
- First Liberty National Bancshares, Inc.
- First State Bank
- First Texoma National Bank
- FiServ, Inc.
- FNB Financial Services, Inc.
- Gladewater National Bank
- Greater Southwest Bancshares, Inc.
- Henderson Federal Savings Bank
- Heritage Bancorp, Inc.
- Heritage Bank
- Hull State Bank
- Huntington Bancshares, Inc.
- Huntington State Bank
- IBT Bancorp, Inc.
- Independent Bank of Texas
- Jane Austin Chapman Limited Partnership LP
- Jere J. Ruff Family Limited Partnership No. II
- JLL Associates GP FCH, LLC
- Joaquin Bankshares, Inc.
- Lamar Bancorporation, Inc.
- Lamar National Bank
- Landmark Bank, NA
- Landrum Company
- Northstar Bank of Texas
- North Texas Bank, National Association
- Orange Savings Bank, SSB
- OSB Financial Services, Inc.
- Peoples Bank
- Pilot Point Bancorp, Inc.
- Texas Peoples National Bancshares, Inc.
- Texas State Bank
- The East Texas National Bank of Palestine
- The First Liberty National Bank
- The First National Bank of Kemp
- The First National Bank of Trenton
- Trenton Bankshares, Inc.
- Valliance Bank
- Valliance Financial Corp.
- ViewPoint Bank, NA
- ViewPoint Financial Group, Inc.
- AccessBank Texas
- Bankers Bancorp of Oklahoma, Inc.
- Beal Bank, SSB
- Beal Financial Corporation
- Citizens State Bank
- Colonial Holding Company
- Colonial Savings, FA
- Commerce National Financial Services, Inc.
- Community Trust Bank
- Community Trust Financial Corporation
- Fayetteville Bank
- Fidelity National Information Services, Inc.
- First Bells Bankshares, Inc.
- First Command Bank
- First Command Financial Services, Inc.
- First Community Bancshares, Inc.
- First National Bank Texas d/b/a First Convenience Bank
- Industry Bancshares, Inc.
- Industry State Bank
- Lubbock National Bank
- Pioneer Bank, SSB
- Premier Bancshares, Inc.
- Sabine Bancshares,Inc.
- Sabine State Bank and Trust Company
- Southwest Bancorp, Inc.
- Synergy Bank, SSB
- Texas First Bank
- Texas Independent Bancshares, Inc.
- Texas Security Bank
- Texas Security Bankshares, Inc.
- The Bankers Bank
- The First National Bank of Bells/Savoy
- The First National Bank of Bellville
- The First National Bank of Shiner
- The Stillwater National Bank and Trust Company
- Advanced Federal Credit Union
- American State Bank
- Cherokee County Federal Credit Union
- Citizens Bancorp, Inc.
- Citizens National Bank
- City Bank
- Collin Bank
- DATCU Credit Union
- East Texas Bancshares, Inc.
- Emory Bancshares, Inc.
- First National Bank of Jasper
- First Private Bank of Texas
- First Private Holdings, Inc.
- FNB Company
- Golden Bank, NA
- Grapeland State Bank
- Green Bancorp, Inc.
- GreenBank, NA
- Henderson Citizens Bancshares, Inc.
- Independent Bank
- Independent Bank Group, Inc.
- Jack Henry & Associates, Inc.
- Justin State Bank
- Lindale State Bank
- MidSouth Bancorp
- MidSouth Bank, NA
- NexBank Capital, Inc.
- NexBank, SSB
- Overton Financial Corporation
- Paris Bancshares, Inc.
- ProfitStars, LLC
- SB&T Holdings, Inc.
- South Plains Financial, Inc.
- State Bank and Trust Company
- Steele Holdings, Inc.
- Sulphur Springs Bancshares, Inc.
- Symitar Systems,Inc.
- Texas Star Bank
- The City National Bank of Sulphur Springs
- The First National Bank of Emory
- The First National Bank of Livingston
- The Liberty National Bank of Paris
- Third Coast Bancshares, Inc.
- Third Coast Bank, SSB
- United Heritage Credit Union
- Van Alstyne Financial Corporation
- Veritex Community Bank
- WCM Holdings, Inc.
Plaintiff: DataTreasury Corporation
Pls. Cnsl: Albritton Law Firm; Kendall Law Group; Nix Patterson & Roach; Ward & Smith Law Firm
Patents: 5,910,988 (Remote image capture with centralized processing and storage); and 6,032,137 (Remote image capture with centralized processing and storage).
Intellectual Ventures II LLC v. First National Bank of Omaha, (D. Neb.).
Defendant: First National Bank of Omaha
Plaintiff: Intellectual Ventures II LLC
Pls. Cnsl: Feinberg Day Alberti & Thompson; Koukol & Johnson
Patents: 5,745,574 (Security infrastructure for electronic transactions); 6,314,409 (System for controlling access and distribution of digital property); 6,715,084 (Firewall system and method via feedback from broad-scope monitoring for intrusion detection); 6,826,694 (High resolution access control); and 7,634,666 (Crypto-engine for cryptographic processing of data).
Motivation Innovations, LLC v. PetSmart, Inc., (D. Del.).
Defendant: PetSmart, Inc.
Plaintiff: Motivation Innovations, LLC
Pls. Cnsl: Ashby & Geddes; Posternak Blankstein & Lund
Patent: 5,612,527 (Discount offer redemption system and method).
Mobile Transformation LLC v. Spotify USA Inc., (S.D. N.Y.).
Defendant: Spotify USA Inc.
Plaintiff: Mobile Transformation LLC
Pls. Cnsl: Aeton Law Partners
Patent: 6,351,736 (System and method for displaying advertisements with played data).