Patent reform has been moving quickly. The following links are key commentary about the reform bills or reform effort that will be valuable for retailers:
- Larry Downes writes about the need for patent reform, focusing upon the Innovation Act at Harvard Business Review.
- Issie Lapowsky at Wired argues for eliminating software patents, following New Zealand’s lead.
- At Re/Code, Senator Coons debuts his STRONG Patents Act. Coons’ bill is not the direction retailers want to move, but it is important to understand all sides of the debate.
- Bill Snyder at InfoWorld explains that while the Innovation Act is a good start, it is not enough to solve the patent troll problem.
- Via Patently-O, Prof. Ted Sichelman at University of San Diego Law argues that the Innovation Act’s fee shifting provision will increase troll activity.